The World Health Organization (WHO) has said it may take up to nine months before a vaccine for this specific strain of Ebola becomes available.
WHO advisor Dr Vasee Moorthy explained on Wednesday that two potential candidate vaccines targeting the Bundibugyo strain are currently in development, but neither has yet undergone clinical trials.
WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there are about 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, though the numbers are expected to rise as surveillance continues and more infections are detected.
He added that 51 cases have so far been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the outbreak began, and two additional cases have been identified in neighbouring Uganda. One of the Ugandan cases, located in Kampala, has already died after travelling from DR Congo.
The WHO recently declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, although it stressed that the situation has not reached pandemic status. After a review meeting, the emergency committee concluded that the outbreak does not constitute a global pandemic threat.
Dr Tedros said the risk is currently considered high at national and regional levels, but low globally.
The confirmed cases in DR Congo are mainly concentrated in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, while the Ugandan cases involve travellers from the affected region.
Health authorities warn that the true scale of the outbreak is likely much larger, with healthcare workers among those who have died—raising particular concern for response efforts.
Local medical facilities in some areas are reportedly overwhelmed, with staff reporting shortages of space and protective equipment despite ongoing aid deliveries.
Aid workers from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) described hospitals as being filled beyond capacity, with suspected cases exceeding available space.
Investigations are ongoing to determine how long the virus has been spreading, although containment remains the immediate priority.
The first recorded patient was a nurse who developed symptoms and died on 24 April in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province. The body was later transported to Mongwalu, one of the mining towns heavily affected by the outbreak.
Community members in affected areas say fear is increasing, with traditional practices such as handshakes being avoided due to concerns about transmission.
Ebola spreads through direct contact with infected bodily fluids or contaminated surfaces, often causing severe bleeding and organ failure.
The current outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain, one of four known Ebola species that affect humans. It is considered less deadly than the Zaire strain, but remains dangerous and difficult to control.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is facing its 17th Ebola outbreak, but the rarity of the Bundibugyo strain—last seen more than a decade ago—means there are fewer established tools and treatments available.
No approved vaccine currently exists for this strain, though experimental candidates are being developed. Experts say some protection may be provided by vaccines designed for other Ebola variants.
WHO officials say one leading vaccine candidate could take six to nine months to become ready for use, while another experimental option may be available for trials in two to three months, depending on further testing.
However, there is still significant uncertainty around both candidates, and no specific treatment drugs currently exist for Bundibugyo Ebola.
In response to criticism that the WHO reacted slowly, Dr Tedros defended the organisation’s response, saying the outbreak has been managed quickly in a highly complex environment.
He also noted that early symptoms of Ebola often resemble common diseases such as malaria and typhoid, making early detection difficult.
The situation is further complicated by ongoing conflict in eastern DR Congo, which continues to hinder public health response efforts.
Source: BBC

